General Information and Usage:
This electron-beam evaporation system is the newest of the lab for metal deposition. This system is a bell-jar type system and has the capability to do up to 10-4” wafers in a lift-off configuration and up to 24-4” wafers in a sidewall coverage configuration. Rotational motion in combination with baffling is used for lift-off and provides roughly 5% uniformity across a 4” wafer. The sidewall coverage fixturing uses full planetary motion to provide coverage over all sidewalls. Sample heating up to ~ 300 C can be accomplished with built-in heat lamps. The system also an 8-pocket e-beam source and an Inficon IC/5 deposition controller that allows for programming of fully automated multiple layer depositions. The metals available for deposition are Al, Ti, Au, Pt, Ni, Pd, Ag, Ge, and Cr. This system is used for n-type ohmic contact metalization to compound semiconductors, Schottky contacts to semiconductors, bond pads, and other general metalizations. The maximum deposition thickness during a run is limited to 0.8 microns.
- Temescal 10kV power supply
- 1-Temescal 8-pocket series 260 e-beam sources
- Cryo-pumped system with ~ 1e-7 ultimate base pressure
- Sample heating to 300°C
- Rotation with baffle for 5% uniformity over 4” wafer
- Automatic vacuum sequencing
- Temescal e-beam sweep control
- Inficon IC/5 programmable crystal thickness monitoring system
- Automatic deposition of multiple layer stacks
- Sample size: Pieces or up to 10-4” wafers for lift-off and 24-4” wafers for sidewall coverage
- Metals: Al, Ti, Au, Pt, Ni, Pd, Ag, Ge, and Cr
For additional information regarding the Multi-Wafer Evaporator or if you would like to inquire about using the UCSB Nanofabrication Facility, please contact
using the telephone number or e-mail address below.