NNIN REU Program Dates: June 3–August 9, 2014
NNIN REU Convocation Dates: August 10–13, 2014
Travel Day: Monday, June 2, 2014
Orientation Day: Tuesday, June 4, 8:00 am Location TBD
- 8:00 am The hotel shuttle will bring you there for free. Ask them to drop you off at the UCSB east gate bus loop (the one just under the Henley gate arch). Please let them know the night before what time you need to arrive so that they can tell you what time to meet them in the front.
- UCSB Campus Map
- 9:00 am Safety Training with Hector Acuna, UCSB Environmental Health & Safety
- 10:00 am Meet your research group, lab safety specific to your lab, and information scavenger hunt.
- 12:00 pm Lunch: Your mentors and faculty advisors will join you.
- At 1:00 pm, we will meet for a group photo and go downtown for a tour. Bring cash, a camera, and comfortable walking shoes. Please don’t bring anything heavy. You may wish to leave your things at the lab where you will return in the morning.
Here is information we will cover at orientation:
- N-REU Intern Expectations
- Lab Safety
- Lab Books
- A special opportunity for some NNIN REU interns who complete the program
- Lab Group Scavenger Hunt: Questions to ask your mentor and find out about your lab and research. 10 things to make sure your mentor shares with you about your lab.
Below are forms you will need to print, sign and return during orientation:
- Liability Waiver
- Emergency Contact Form Also, bring a photocopy of your insurance card with you.
- Photo Release Form
All interns are obligated to work a minimum of 35 hours per week. Days off should be arranged with your mentor, and can be made up either by working longer hours or weekend days. If you need to miss a few hours, you will need to make them up. That arrangement should be worked out directly with your mentor. REU interns have been kicked out of the program for not working enough hours, so please make sure you do so.
Friday, July 4th is a holiday. Take the weekend off!
- Monday morning Professional Development workshops will also be occurring during the summer typically 9:00 - 10:30 am. See the REU calendar for locations.
- Tuesday afternoon seminars from 4:00 – 5:00 pm, given by special invited speakers, these talks will be held in Materials Research Laboratory Room 2053 unless otherwise noted. See the REU calendar for updates.
- We will have a Convocation Preparation and Practice meeting during the last week here. Location and time TBD. Breakfast will be provided.
Career Development Tools
- UCSB Counseling and Career Services
- Career Guides by JobStar
- America's Career Infonet
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
Reports and Presentations
- You will be giving presentations throughout the summer, based on your research project. There will be group instruction and discussion on presentation techniques at our regular meetings.
- You will participate in a poster session, held at Convocation.
- You are expected to write a final report at the completion of your summer research.
For use in NNIN REU posters, presentations, etc. (right click on image and select "save as" to save):
The location of the N-REU Convocation this year is yet TBD. All the N-REU interns from the 11 sites will attend and present their work. Each presentation will be about 8 minutes long, with about 4 minutes for questions. We’ll discuss details of the Convocation as the time approaches, and updates/links will be posted here.
We expect everyone to arrive Sunday, August 10, during the day and to leave Thursday, August 14, in the morning.
Questions or Concerns